The kogi state government has said that no case of COVID-19 has been confirmed in the State, and urged those who have just returned from an affected country or state or know of anyone who just returned from an affected country or State to report themselves to the state squadron Committee.
In a statement signed by Kingsley Fanwo, state Commissioner for Information and Communication said by doing so, they will be playing a patriotic role of saving the State from the ravaging virus.
He thanked the people of Kogi State for their immense cooperation in the collective efforts to contain the spread of Coronavirus in the state.
“Our success so far has been as a result of the buy-in of our people in adhering to our directive on preventive measures.
“The NCDC has cooperated with us and we wish to announce that Kogi Help Lines have been included in the NCDC Directory to help our people access help from both the Kogi COVID-19 Squadron Committee and the NCDC.
“We insist that we do not have any reason yet for total lockdown. We shall not hesitate to do that if it has to get to that. Our action plans are centered around restricting movements and to encourage people to stay at home.
Fanwo however advised Commercial motorcyclists and tricyclists to stay at home for the time being, adding that full enforcement of this directive has already started.
He also express appreciation to religious leaders for hearkening to the call for social distancing which does not allow congregating, “Your cooperation has made our job easier as we crave your continued understanding.
“The resolution of the Committee to allow all contributions pass through it remains sacrosanct. It is the responsibility of the Kogi COVID-19 Squadron Team to coordinate support towards combating the virus. In doing that, ensuring standards is paramount and helpful.
“The Kogi COVID-19 Squadron Committee also wishes to thank those who have been extending hands of support to the State Government in her avowed determination to combat the deadly virus. Individuals and corporate organizations have been reaching out to us to assure us of their support both in cash and other logistics. Some are offering services.
“In our tradition of transparency and accountability, dedicated accounts have been opened to help our people in this trying period. Donations into the accounts and expenditures shall be made public. We shall publicize all the dedicated accounts tomorrow, Monday 30th March, 2020.
“Our Containment Center at FAREC Clinic is ready. As we await certification of our test kits, we still rely on the Test Centers approved by NCDC. In a couple of days, we shall take delivery of our test kits.
“We also wish to announce that we shall be distributing some medical consumables to the 21 Local Government Areas in the State to boost our capacity to contain the spread of the virus.
“We urge our people to stay at home and report suspected cases. Personal hygiene is also key. Government will stand with you all through this trying period.
Meanwhile, residents and traders in Kogi have continued to defile government’s lock down order directing residents to stay at home and the closure of markets in the state.
The Kogi Government had on Friday announced that it would shutdown the state as from Saturday March 28, as a measure to contain the spread of the dreaded coronavirus in the state.
The Chairman of the Squadron Committee set up by the governor to enforce compliance, Mr Edward Onoja, who doubles as Kogi Deputy Governor, declared this in a press conference on Friday in Lokoja.
Monitored the shutdown order showed that activities in the state remained as usual as shops were opened and traders selling their goods and products in all the markets visited.
At Kpata market and Lokoja International market, even though all the entrance gates were under lock and key, the road to the market was flooded with traders in their great numbers carrying out their usual transactions.