Suspected militias has allegedly razed down over 50 houses belonging to Egbura in Sheria, Landu, Ankura and Oguma in Bassa Local Government Area of Kogi State.
The Vice chairman Mozum Concern Youth Advocacy Hamzat Mohammed who confirmed this in a statement on Wednesday said the act was accompanied with sporadic shootings which sent many scampering for safety on Christmas day.
Hamzat who allegedly accused Bassa – Komo militia of carrying out the attack observed that, the wild spread of burning and destruction was effectively carried out in Oguma in-spite of government effort in ensuring peaceful coexistence between the Egbura and Bassa Komo in the local government area.
While lamenting that, the situation in recent time have deteriorated, berated the action of the divisional police officer in the area who according to him gave unconvincing excuses when the remaining houses in Biroko were burnt and destroyed for four days.
“The Divisional Police Officer who could not effect any arrest claimed that only a few houses were burnt whereas over 50 houses belonging to Egburas were burnt down by the Bassa-Komo militias.
“Before now, the same DPO gave unconvincing excuses when the remaining houses in Biroko were burnt and destroyed for good four successive days. We are therefore worried that, this act could be accomplished unrestricted and in full glared of the DPO been the chief security officer of the area and Aguma of Bassa-Komo who doubles as the chairman of Bassa traditional council without any arrest” he said.
The chairman while commending Governor Yahaya Bello in the effort made so far, particularly the setting up of the judiciary commission of enquiry on the crisis, called for a full implementation of the report adding that, the government should urgently come to their rescue and resettle the affected people in the community.
In a swift reaction, the chairman Bassa Cultural Development Union (BCDU) Samuel Nyizona while debunking the allegations said several houses were burnt by suspected militia allegedly loyal to the Egbura’s in a village called Kebe in Kwomo district which led to the death of six people.
“As I speak to you, six people has been confirmed dead. This attack was carried out by the Egbura’s. We were surprise when some group in a military uniform stormed Bassa-Komo community to attack our people. They are not military men but dressed in a military uniform. Some are still missing as I speak to you. The allegation that houses were burnt by Bassa-Komo could be a reprisal attack” Nyizoma added.
According to him, two persons are currently receiving treatment in the hospital.
He however called on the government and security agencies to come to their aide as the crisis between the communities has lingered for two long.
Meanwhile, the special adviser to Governor Yahaya Bello on good governance and due process Ademu Ibrahim while confirming the attack on Egbura community said the perpetrators of the act will be brought to book.
The special adviser added that, when he contacted the divisional police officer, he was told that few houses were razed by the suspected hoodlums who attack the community.
He said the government will leave no stone unturned to ensure that the crisis between the communities is put to an end.
When contacted, the administrator of Bassa local government area Samuel Alumka said he has not received any report of attack in the area.
Also, the police public relation officer ASP William Aya was not responding to calls and messages put across to him by our reporter to confirm the attack in the community.Share this on WhatsApp